Government of Pakistan, Directorate General Immigration & Passports (Headquarters), Deputy Assistant Director (Policy) issued a letter regarding obtaining a passport in private capacity being a Government Servant is punishable.
- During exercise regarding Government Officers / Officials who did not declare their foreign nationality, it came to the notice that 47561 Officers / Officials have obtained passports in private capacity without mentioning government service as profession.
- Obtaining a passport in private capacity being a Government Servant is punishable offence under Section 6 of Passport Act, 1974. Thus, the above Government Officers / Officials have committed an offence under the provision of this Section.
- Keeping in view, the large number of Government Officers / Officials who have obtained passports in private capacity in concealment of profession by not declaring their Government service. The case is being referred to Ministry of Interior with the following suggestion:-
- A general notice in leading Newspapers may be published that the Government Officers / Officials who have obtained passport in concealment of profession may approach Passport Offices concerned and get their data rectified within two months of its publications.
- The Government Officers / Officials who obtained passport before joining the Government service may be advised to correct their data in passport by producing NOC from their parent departments, in the same period.
- In addition to the normal passport fee, an extra penal fee Rs.5000/- may be levied on defaulting Officers / Officials who obtained passports in private capacity being government servant.
- On expiry of given date / period of two month, the passport of defaulting officers / officials may be cancelled and legal action under the relevant Section of Passport Act 1974 may be initiated against them by the departments concerned / FIA.
- This issues with the approval of Director General Immigration and Passports.