Government of Pakistan is looking to Merger of Services / Cadres into a Unified Graded Structure for equal opportunity for all the Government Employees.
- All the services and cadres would be merged into a single unified graded structure with equality of opportunity for all who enter the service at any stage based on the required professional and specialized competence necessary for each job.
- All classes among government servants would be abolished and replaced by a single unified graded structure, a "Peon or equivalent at the bottom, a Secretary or Departmental Head at the top. The existing classification of dividing the services into Class-I to Class-IV would no longer operate. The road upwards to the very top to be open to all on merit and required educational and professional qualifications.
- The use of service labels would be designed to provide for entitlement to promotions to the higher posts throughout the range of public service ; for horizontal movement from one cadre to another including the movement of technical personnel to the cadre of general management carrying posts of an executive nature: there would also be scope for out of turn promotion to the exceptionally meritorious officers.
- The correct grading of each post would be determined by job evaluation, job description, professionalism and specialization.
- With the merger of all classes and services into single Unified Graded Structure, the various functional and professional services will become branches of a single service.
- There would be provision the government may take talented offices from the private sector such as banking, insurance, industry and trade as well as from other professions for jobs at the appropriate levels in the Central and Provincial Secretariats and Departments as well as government sponsored corporations, autonomous and semi autonomous bodies.