Government of the Punjab, Services & General Administration Department (Regulation Wing) issued a letter regarding Completion of PERs of Civil Servants of all Departments.
- Para-2 and 3 of the instructions about Confidential Reports provides as under:-
- When should a Report be written:- The report shall relate to a calendar year. I shall be initiated in the first week of January by the initiating authority and forwarded to the higher authority in the same week. The higher authority shall give it remarks within one week, in case it is necessary to send the report to a third authority, it will be sent to the authority immediately. The final authority shall also record its views within a week. Time schedule has been laid down so that the remarks are based on the performance of government servants during the calendar year to which they relate. Otherwise, consciously or sub-consciously subsequent events can contribute towards the formation of opinion in respect of the past year. Thus the reports should be completed within the month of January each year.
- Responsibility of the final authority to ensure prompt writing of confidential reports:- Generally, the writing of confidential reports gets delayed which affects the disposal of cases in which it is necessary to consult Character Rolls. This also leads to frustration among the government servants. The final authority about the writing of confidential report will be responsible for obtaining confidential reports for the preceding calendar year within the month of January each year. It would then furnish a certificate to Services, General Administration and Information Department that all the confidential reports which were due to be completed have actually been completed and placed on the Character Rolls. This certificate should reach Services, General Administration and Information Department (Section R-IV) in the first week of February. The defaulting authorities shall be brought to the notice of government for appropriate disciplinary action.
- It has been observed that report on the work and conduct of civil servants are not written and countersigned within the time frame prescribed for this purpose (schedule is enclosed). Consequently, promotion cases of Government servants are deferred by the competent authorities due to in-complete PERs.
- It is therefore, requested that all Reporting Countersigning Authorities under your administrative control may kindly be directed to strictly follow the prescribed time schedule for writing / countersigning of PERs of their subordinates. It may kindly be ensured that all the reports are completed and placed in the PER Dossiers within the prescribed time limit. A certificate about completion of PERs for the year 2018 should reach the Regulation Wing of S&GAD in the first week of February, 2019.