Government of the Punjab, Services & General Administration Department (Regulation Wing) issued a Guidelines / Procedure for Counting of Words for Typing Test.
- In order to streamline the procedure and to ensure transparency in conducting shorthand / typing tests in accordance with speed prescribed in the relevant service rules for the recruitment of Stenographers / Junior Clerks, the following guidelines are issued for the guidance of selection authorities:
- Shorthand Test
- The required number of words per minute of the concerned department will be multiplied with five (5), that would be equal to total numbers of words, required for dictation.
- Calculate the total errors after dictated passage is received by the examiner.
- 1/2 mark is deducted for error in shorthand script and one mark is deducted for one error in transcribed script.
- The total of errors is counted and they should not exceed 5% i.e if a candidate takes dictation of 400 words, his errors should not be more than 20.
- 400-20=380 380x100/400=95%
- 95% accuracy is required for successful candidates appearing in shorthand test
- Typing Test on Computer
- Five strokes are equal to one word.
- The required number of words per minute, of the concerned department will be multiplied with five (5), that would be equal to total numbers of words, required for dictation, i.e. for speed of 40 words per minute total words to be typed: 40x5=200 words.
- If a candidate types 200 words in the stipulated five minutes and he made 10 errors, then his speed will be calculated as under: Total words typed 200 Errors 10x5 = 50. 200-50 = 150/5 = 30 words per minute
It is, therefore, requested to kindly ensure transparency in the typing test by following the above said guidelines.