Government of the Punjab, Services & General Administration Department, Regulations Wing issued a letter regarding Appointment under Rule 17-A of the Punjab Civil Servants (Appointment & Conditions of Service) Rules, 1974 on Regular Basis, Implementation of Lahore High Court Lahore Judgement.
- In case of a civil servant who dies while in service or is declared invalidated incapacitated for further service, one of his unemployed children or widow / wife is to be employed under. Rule 17-A of the Punjab Civil Servants (Appointment & Conditions of Service) Rules, 1974, which enunciates as under:-
- Give 10 additional marks in the aggregate by the Punjab Public Service Commission or by the relevant Selection Board on Committee, provided he/she qualifies in the test / examination and/or interview for posts in BS 6 and above
- Provided a job against posts in BS-1 to 11 in the department office in which the deceased government servant was working, without observance of formalities prescribed under the rules / procedure, provided such child or the *widow / wife is otherwise eligible for the post.
- The issue regarding admissibility of benefit of job under Rule 17.A of the rules ibid on regular basis remained under litigation in courts of law. The Hon'ble Lahore High Court, Lahore while allowing Writ Petition No.51484/2019, has directed the Government as under:-
- "to regularize the services of all the employees who were appointed granting the benefit of Rule 17-A of the Punjab Civil Servants (Appointment & Conditions of Service) Rules, 1974, forthwith irrespective, whether they have completed three / four years' service or not as their contract employment after 2009 was unlawful obviously, they had to be appointed on regular basis. It is also directed that in future, all the appointments under Rule 17-A ibid shall be made on regular basis.
- Accordingly, the Chief Minister. Punjab has been pleased to approve that the order of Hon'ble Lahore High Court, Lahore dated 20.09.2019 may be implemented and a circular letter in this regard may be issued to all concerned for compliance.
- The above instructions may kindly be implemented in letter & spirit.